In an effort to streamline our tiny unit, save money and ensure our lifestyle is eco friendly, sustainable and in line with how we want to live we have been trying different products, routines and tweaking areas in our life. Moving from a large home in a small town to a tiny unit in a big city had it’s own set of challenges and learning experiences.
One experience has been cleaning. Our unit is quick and easy to clean, but there are a few down falls:
1.) Cleaning stinks
Splashing bleach around isn’t such an issue in a big home with exhaust fans and windows you can open. Doing it when you bathroom has no windows or extra exhaust fan means you will almost kill yourself. Also, while I could use bi-carb and vinegar, my partner gags at the smell of vinegar so it’s a no go.
2.) Drying clothes gets costly
In a big house we had a backyard to hang clothes or extra rooms to hang clothes to dry. In our tiny apartment we do have a clothes rack but not enough space to hang more than one load of clothes at a time. Our dryer has been getting a workout, especially during winter in Melbourne.
3.) Smaller is better
Things that come in concentrate forms where I can refill products or anything we use from a small bottle repeatedly instead of storing multiple products from ‘bulk buy’ discounts are better for us. We don’t have the space to store things or multiple items bought on sale.
Recently, I was sent a pack of Eco Mates products with their surface care pack and Wooly Mates to try. Given my above issues, the Eco Mates range fits perfectly with changes we are making in our home – eco friendly products which save us time and money. Here is my review plus a giveaway at the end of this post.
What were the benefits of Eco Mates?
Reduced dryer time
Wooly Mates are dryer balls are “triple felted from pure wool, designed to help reduce tumble drying time, soften clothing and bedding and reduce static and wrinkles.” (as mentioned on their site). Reducing dryer time saves money on electricity plus there was definitely less static electricity in the items when we removed them from the dryer.
The reduced dryer time was the main reason I wanted to try Wooly Mates. I have done other methods such as throwing in a dry towel with the wet load to be dried in the dryer, however these balls worked better. Added bonus, you can add essential oil to the balls to lightly scent your clothes if you want. The ability to scent, reduced wrinkles and increased softness eliminate the need for dryer sheets (if you use them, we don’t).
Wooly Mates were a clear winner!
Subtle, clean smell
I used Eco Mates Spray On Wipe Off all purpose spray on our coffee table, dining table, light switches and around the home. Not only does it not have a strong smell, it worked a treat, even with the Indian takeaway that had been spilt on the white coffee table.
Not only did it work perfectly, but there was no over powering bleachy/cleaning product smell. A subtle fragrance was detectable which didn’t hang in the air like other cleaning products plus when I sprayed it I didn’t feel the need to hold my breath. I’d be comfortable with my kids cleaning with Eco Mates Spray On Wipe Off.
Next up I tried Scrub Me Marble Paste which can be used on sinks, tiles, grout, ovens, pots, pans, stainless steel appliances, shower screens, barbecues and resin outdoor furniture (although if the surface is shiny, do a test patch first).
I used it in the bathroom on my shower screen, the tap ware and vanity. Instead of smelling like bleach for hours after I’d finished, cleaning the bathroom was quick, pleasant smelling and easy.
Scrub Me is made from marble dust, natural soap, traces of coconut oil and an all-natural and organic bioflavonoid sanitiser and mould inhibitor.
Overall, I was impressed with how well it worked, the non smelliness factor and how little product I needed to use to clean everything. The tub will last a long time.
Lastly I used Mop It Clean. I only have 50 tiles in my kitchen, so it’s not a huge area to clean. I liked how easy Mop It Clean was to use.
So how can you win an Eco Mates Pack worth $93.25 each?
Lucky for you we have two packs up for grabs each containing both the Eco Mates Surface Care Kit which contains:
Spray On Wipe Off
Spray On Wipe Off Concentrate
Clean Me Polish Me
Mop It Clean (Herbal Floor Cleaner)
and a pack of Wooly Mates worth $34.85
Making the total value $93.25 each!
To enter, simply sign up to our newsletter by putting your email in the form below and either leave a comment or put your comment in the form answering “What is your top money saving tip?” in 50 words or less.
I was gifted these items to try. The review is honest and we will be using Eco Mates in the future.
Terms and conditions
1. The promoter is The Thrifty Issue.
2. Employees of The Thrifty Issue or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are via http://thethriftyissue.com.au/eco-mates-review-giveaway/
5. Opening date for entry is Sunday, August, 28, 2016. Closing date for entry will be midnight, AEST, Sunday 11th September, 2016. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
6. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
7. The rules of the competition and the prize for each winner are as follows: Sign up to The Thrifty Issue newsletter. Leave a comment of 50 words or less with your answer to “What’s your top money saving tip?”. By doing so, you give The Thrifty Issue permission to send the monthly newsletter.
8. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
9. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
10. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
11. Winners will be judged. This is a game of skill.
12. The winner will be notified by email 3 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 5 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
13. The prize will be posted to the winner by Eco Mates.
14. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
16. The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by Australian law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Australia.
17. The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current Australian data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
18. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
20. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Thrifty Issue and not to any other party. The Thrifty Issue will not share or sell your information to anyone else with the exception of sharing the winners details with Eco Mates purely for the purpose of posting the prizes.